Spotty Dog Brew & BBQ – San Diego Double Dry Hopped India Pale Ale [6.0%]
‘Our tribute to San Diego. Restrained malts make way for a huge dosing of classic American hops. Columbus, Citra and huge doses of Centenial and Simcoe give this beer it’s fresh, resinous, pine and fruit characteristics. With the help of a two stage dry hopping, the bitterness and flavour are deceptively balanced with a long dry finish.’
– Malts: Marris Otter, Pale Malt, and CaraPils Malt.
[ ABV: 6.0% IBU: 48 OG: 1.054 FG: 1.009 ]
– Available: Limited Seasonal Release, Tap/Draft, 64oz/1.89L Growler.
[ 12.6oz/375ml Cans Coming Soon. ]
– Look: [ Golden-Orange, with an Amber Hue. ]
– Head: [ 1 Centimeter of Creamy Off-White Head. ]
– Aroma: [ Strong Pine Needles, Grapefruit, Biscuit, Melon and Stone fruit. Lesser hints of Freshly Cut Grass, White Peach, Honey and Orange. ]
– Taste: [ Dank, Viscous Pine, Ruby Grapefruit and Grass. Subtle notes of Tropical Fruits, Resin, Tangerine, Lemon Zest and Caramel. ]
– Mouth-Feel: [ Creamy and Resinous, with Viscous Pine Needles, Peach and Grapefruit lingering on the Palate. ]
– Mid Palate: [ Ripe Mango, Stone fruit, Tangerine, Pine Needles, and Peaches. Viscous with heaps of Resin and Pine Sap lingering on the Palate. ]
– Finish: [ Subtle hints of Malt and Caramel, however the Palate is dominated by Resinous Pine, Grapefruit, Melons, and Tropical Fruits. Citrus Peel, Cut Grass, and Floral Hops all combine gracefully to create a Viscous, Balanced and long lasting Finish. ]
– Overall: [ A Fruity, Dank, Tropical, and ‘On-Point’ IPA. Unlike a lot of local ‘West Coast IPA’s’, the San Diego Double Dry Hopped slips right in along side some of California’s finest. An exceptionally Balanced, Flavorsome, and Repeatable IPA that takes you back for another sip. Subtle hints of Peach, Melons, and Tropical fruits in the Aroma compliment the onslaught of Grapefruit, Pine Needle, and Tangerine. Resin, Dank, and Citrus like characteristics linger on the Palate, with a Creamy Texture and a Viscous Finish. Once again Klimt and the team pull off another great brew. Well worth having a try if you are in Tasmania, and even better yet, get along to the Hobart Twilight Market and have a chat to the boys yourself! ]
– Overall: [ 92.25/100 ] – Style: [ 92.5/100 ]
– Taste: [ 93.5/100 ] Aroma: [ 93.75/100 ]
– Would We Buy It Again?: [ Well, absolutely! ]
– Affordable?: [ So far it’s only on tap. However, we will soon see. ]
– Day Or Night?: [ Either or. ]
– Spotty Dog Brewers San Diego IPA: 1 Word Review: [ Piney. ]
– Our Favourite Part Of San Diego Double Dry Hopped: [ The Aroma. Without a doubt. ]
– Brewed at the Last Rites Brewery –
– 3/18 Kennedy Dr, Cambridge, Tasmania, Australia 7170 –
‘Spotty Dog is the collaboration between two best mates with a passion for beer and Texas BBQ. Brewing for us started with German and Austrian beers and grew into American pale ales, California Commons and hop monster IPAs. To go with our great beers we’ve taken the best of American BBQ, street eats and German beer foods and developed our own style of “Dude Food”.
We want to share our passion for great beers and “Dude Food”. To open our own bar and brew fresh beer on site we need to find the perfect premises, raise funding and get all our licences in order first.
To bring our Spotty Dog dream closer to your glasses and plates, we will be taking our custom built Texan smoker down to The Hobart Twilight Market over this summer at Nutgrove, Sandy Bay!
We’ll be running the big Texan smoker for up to 14 hours to smoke our Cape Grim brisket, pulled pork and other favourites, low and slow over hickory and oak wood.
We’ve also teamed up with a great Tasmanian brewer and plan to bring you their Pale Ale on tap, with a second beer tap running a variety of their great beers! We wish we could share our beer with you, we are hoping with your support we will be able to make that happen soon!
We’d love for you all to get down to the Hobart Twilight Market in October, grab a beer and a slab of brisket and have a chat to us about beer, bbq and the future of Spotty Dog!
The Spotty Dog team
Klimt, Michael, Marnie and Domonie’
– Visit Spotty Dog Brew & BBQ: https://www.facebook.com/SpottyDogBrewers/