Pirate Life Brewing Co. (SA/Australia) – West Coast Pale Ale [5.4%]
‘The ubiquitous Pale Ale. The workhorse of pretty much any modern brewery.
The brief we gave ourselves for our flagship beer was that it should be able to be sent to any bar in San Diego and to stand proudly alongside the many great Pales produced in, and around, the west coast of the US.
The schematic for a West Coast Pale Ale is bucket loads of big US hops, full malty backbone and a characterful yeast. That is what this Pale Ale is all about. Enjoy as fresh as possible.
Beer pairing: Everything, all of the time.’
– Malts: Ale Malt, Crystal Malt, and CaraMalt.
[ ABV: 5.4% IBU: 50 OG: 1.053,5 ]
– Available: Year Round, Tap/Draft, 12oz/355ml Can, 6 Pack.
– Look: [ Hazy, Copper-Amber. ]
– Head: [ 1.5 Centimeters of Off-White Head, with Resinous Lacing. ]
– Aroma: [ Pine Needles, Apricot, Citrus Bouquet, Pineapple Husk, and Tropical Fruits. ]
– Taste: [ Mango, White Peach, Grapefruit, Caramel, and Lychee. ]
– Mouth-Feel: [ Full-Bodied, Creamy, Viscous, and well Carbonated. ]
– Mid Palate: [ Marmalade, Lemon Peel, Toffee, Melons, and Stewed Apple. ]
– Finish: [ Ripe Mango, Sugar Cane, Tangerine, Stonefruit, White Peach, and Pine Needles linger on the Palate. ]
– Overall: [ Full Bodied, Floral, Fruity and Complex. Full-Bodied in Texture, almost reminiscent of an ESB. The addition of Crystal Malts result in a Pale Ale you can really sit on. Mosaic brings pleasant Mango, White Peach, and Floral notes to the Aroma. On the Palate we get Pine Needle, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Biscuit, and Lemon Rind. Often considered as an ‘IPA’, as most Australian Pale Ale’s tend to be below 5% ABV. Pirate Life Pale has a lot of room for improvement, but when you just want a refreshing beer that you don’t have to think about, it certainly hits the spot. All round, a solid West Coast Pale, and a good representation of Australian Craft Brewing. ]
– Overall: [ 94.25/100 ] – Style: [ 93.5/100 ]
– Taste: [ 92.5/100 ] Aroma: [ 94.75/100 ]
– Would We Buy It Again?: [ On tap. ]
– Affordable?: [ One of the more affordable American Pale Ales on the market. 355ml 6 Pack: $28-30 Dollars AUD. ]
– Feedback/Tips: [ I have to be honest here, since the recent expansions at Pirate Life I have noticed inconsistencies across the range. Just make sure your ‘Scale Up’ doesn’t effect the quality and integrity of the original product. ]
– Day Or Night?: [ 3pm BBQ Beer. ]
– Pirate Life West Coast Pale: 1 Word Review: [ Mango. ]
– Our Favourite Part Of Pirate Life Pale: [ The Mosaic Hops! ]
– Pirate Life Brewing Company – 89 South Rd, Hindmarsh, 5007, South Australia –
‘Adelaide deserves to be famous for more than churches and an iced coffee fetish. Sunshine, great food, better wine and famous festivals; it was the obvious choice for Pirate Life. These days rather than migrating interstate, Adelaide kids are staying put and opening their own out-there bars and restaurants. These are our kind of people. With the Barossa, Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale just out of town, they know a thing or two about their plonk. The same goes for beer. Adelaide might have funny tasting water, but that doesn’t stop them from making a darn good brew. It’s still the home of Coopers, and we’re joining an emerging craft beer scene nipping at their heels. (We are bringing fancy water filters of course.) We’re jumping in at a great time. After many years of glory, malls balls has finally lost its spot as the crowning architectural jewel of the city. The new Adelaide Oval is shaking up the CBD with footy and cricket mad hordes. Adelaide’s whole calendar is catching up to the Mad March frenzy. Melburnians and Sydneysiders can make all the snide remarks they like; we don’t mind having Adelaide to ourselves. It’s heaps good.’
– Visit Pirate Life Brewing: http://piratelife.com.au/