Pirate Life Brewing (Australia/SA) – IIPA [8.8%]
‘Crafting great beer is all about balance. At one end of the scale, if you’re brewing a delicate Western European lager, you have to ensure that the four ingredients work in harmony. These more delicate styles take incredible skill to brew well as there’s nowhere to hide any miscalculations or mistakes throughout production.
Launching to the almost extreme opposite, the realm of IIPAs, balance, surprisingly, is still a defining factor. Instead of delicacy in balance, it’s now big flavour in balance.
Simplistically, to achieve a big flavourful IIPA you need: Big Malt + Big Hops + Big Fermentation.
It’s a bit of complicated symbiosis between these three requirements and each of these three provide multiple elements. The malt provides the complex spectrum of sugars for fermentation as well as the main structure and body of the beer. The hops contribute bitterness to balance the malt sweetness as well as resinous piney flavours and juicy fruity-citrusy aromas. The fermentation provides us with a big hit of fun juice (ethanol) and the vast array of incredibly important characterful aroma and flavour compounds.
Not sure if that was too far off track, anyway, what you needed to take away from that was: Pirate Life IIPA is a big beer with big delicious fresh flavours that we hope you will enjoy by sticking it in your big mouth. Peace.’
– Malts: Ale Malt, Maris Otter, CaraPils and Wheat Malts.
[ ABV: 8.8% IBU: 120 OG: 1.077 ]
– Available: Year Round, Tap, 16.9oz/500ml PortoKeg, 4 Pack.
– Taste: Fresh Citrus, Lemon, Grapefruit and sweet Mandarin on the Tongue. Bold lingering Bitterness with hints of Pine Needle, Grapefruit and juicy Citrus on the palate. Well balanced and Hop forward, displaying strong Tropical Fruits, Melons, Peach, Pine Needle, and hints of Grass in the Finish.
– Aroma: Floral, Peaches, Citrus, Grapefruit, Pink Musk Sticks, Pine Needle and Passionfruit. Striking Tropical Fruits, Melons, Mandarin, Lychee, Pineapple, and Guava.
– Look: Clean Golden Amber.
– Overall: Big, Hoppy, Piney, and exceptionally Balanced. Crisp and Dry in the Finish, with a lingering Bitterness that displays hints of Tropical Fruits, Pleasant Citrus and Pine Needles in the Aroma. An Australian Imperial IPA stepping into American Territory.
– Overall: [ 95.5/100 ] – Style: [ 96/100 ]
– Pirate Life Brewing Company – 89 South Rd, Hindmarsh, 5007, South Australia –
‘Adelaide deserves to be famous for more than churches and an iced coffee fetish. Sunshine, great food, better wine and famous festivals; it was the obvious choice for Pirate Life. These days rather than migrating interstate, Adelaide kids are staying put and opening their own out-there bars and restaurants. These are our kind of people. With the Barossa, Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale just out of town, they know a thing or two about their plonk. The same goes for beer. Adelaide might have funny tasting water, but that doesn’t stop them from making a darn good brew. It’s still the home of Coopers, and we’re joining an emerging craft beer scene nipping at their heels. (We are bringing fancy water filters of course.) We’re jumping in at a great time. Aftermany years of glory, malls balls has finally lost its spot as the crowning architectural jewel of the city. The new Adelaide Oval is shaking up the CBD with footy and cricket mad hordes. Adelaide’s whole calendar is catching up to the Mad March frenzy. Melburnians and Sydneysiders can make all the snide remarks they like; we don’t mind having Adelaide to ourselves. It’s heaps good.’
– Visit Pirate Life: http://piratelife.com.au/