Knee Deep Brewing Co. (United States/NV) – Breaking Bud India Pale Ale [6.7%]
‘Old school meets new school in this fresh approach to the classic IPA. At 50 IBU’s and 6.7% ABV, Breaking Bud features the restrained bitterness and alcohol of a classic IPA with newer tropical fruit hop flavors and aromas of Mosaic. Also in the hop mix are Simcoe and CTZ, creating layers of mango, passion fruit, pine and dank. A malt bill with a pinch of crystal malt and a hefty dose of flaked wheat keeps the beer crisp while adding flavor complexity.’
– Malts: Crystal Malts and Flaked Wheat.
[ ABV: 6.7% IBU: 50 Plato: Unknown* ]
– Available: Year Round, Tap/Draft, and 22oz/650ml Bottles.
– Look: [ Clean, Filtered Golden-Yellow. ]
– Head: [ 2 Centimeters of Off-White Head, with moderate Lacing. ]
– Aroma: [ Pine Needles, Ruby Grapefruit, Apricot, Tangerine, Sourdough. ]
– Taste: [ Citrus Zest, Mango, Passionfruit, Melons, and Biscuits. ]
– Mouth-Feel: [ Resinous, Dank, Full-Bodied, with gentle Carbonation. ]
– Mid Palate: [ Apricot, Lychee, Biscuit Malts, Melons, and more Floral-Citrus. ]
– Finish: [ Viscous Pine Needle, Tangelo, Mandarin, White Peach and Melons linger on the Palate. ]
– Overall: [ Excellent. Balanced, Moreish, Full-Bodied, and Complex. Floral Citrus and Tropical Fruits in the Aroma, with Biscuits, Mango, Pine Needles, and Grapefruit on the Palate. Breaking Bud has an incredibly Clean and Repeatable Finish, potentially one of the best we have yet found among affordable American IPA’s. An IPA you can really stick your Nose into. Full Flavored, Full-Bodied, and Full of Fun. ]
– Overall: [ 97.75/100 ] – Style: [ 97.5/100 ]
– Taste: [ 96.75/100 ] Aroma: [ 97.75/100 ] –
– Would We Buy It Again?: [ Without A Doubt. ]
– Affordable?: [ Punches Above It’s Weight. $18-22 Dollars AUD. ]
– Feedback/Tips: [ Double Breaking Bud! ]
– Day Or Night: [ All Day… Everyday ]
– Breaking Bud: 1 Word Review: [ Dank ]
– Knee Deep Brewing Co. 13395 New Airport Rd H, Auburn, CA 95602, USA –
‘Knee Deep Brewing Company was founded in Nevada in June, 2010. For the first few months of operation, Knee Deep was “contract brewing” beer at Mt. Tallac Brewing in beautiful Lake Tahoe and selling kegs exclusively into the Northern Nevada (Reno) market. In September 2010, Jerry Moore (CEO & Janitor) took over the company and agreed to grow, and get more than “Knee Deep” in a premium craft beer brewery. For the remainder of 2010, Knee Deep Brewing Company continued to “contract brew” and sell kegs in Northern Nevada.
In the first quarter of 2011, the company reached an agreement to lease the former Beermann’s Brewery in Lincoln, CA. During the renovation and startup phase, Knee Deep’s beers continued to be contract brewed in another brewery in California. In May 2011, our first batch of beer was brewed in our Lincoln brewery. Over time we phased out the contract brewing and eventually all our beers were brewed at our Lincoln facility. At that time we had two UC Davis trained brewers operating 7 days a week. At first, our beers could be found throughout California and also in Arizona, Nevada, Ohio and Idaho. In 2012 we had started our “Loading Dock Friday Growler Sales”, where it was possible to purchase a growler of the freshest possible Knee Deep beer directly from the brewery. Growler sales were, as described, conducted at the loading dock.
Knee Deep Brewing’s brews have received several awards; most notably our Hoptologist DIPA took the Gold Medal in 2013 at The Bistro 14th Annual DIPA Festival. Knee Deep Brewing Company has a rapidly growing reputation and we are becoming known for our unique blends and creative outlook on brewing. We take pride in our reputation and strive to continue brewing outstanding craft beers.
Fast forward to 2015, Knee Deep beers are now brewed in our new 28,000 square foot facility in Auburn, CA. Our 15 barrel brew house has been replaced with a 40 barrel 4 vessel system. Our 15 barrel fermenters are no more and we now ferment our beers in 60, 90 and 120 barrel tanks. Our year round offerings now total 14 and we also produce special releases and seasonal beers. We are currently in the process of barrel aging a limited quantity of specialty beers, which are periodically released in our taproom. “Loading Dock Fridays” are gone as well. Instead of standing outdoors (rain or shine) to purchase a growler of our beer, visitors can now purchase growlers, crowlers or bottles in our new tasting room, which is larger than our previous Lincoln brewery. Our tasting room offers an unobstructed view of brewery operations, and guests can enjoy samples of our beer while watching us brew, filter or even bottle the finished product. Our current brewmaster, Dean Roberts, has been with us for 3 ½ years and is continuing our tradition of brewing only the finest craft beers.
We have added the states of Michigan, North Carolina, New York, Hawaii, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Oregon. Alberta and British Columbia in Canada have also been added to our distribution network with more to come in 2016. The one thing that will not change at Knee Deep is the quality of our product. We continue to brew great beer and receive recognition and awards both locally and nationally.
– Visit Knee Deep Brewing Co: http://kneedeepbrewing.com/