Ballast Point Brewing (United States/CA) – Big Eye IPA [7.0%]
‘The beer that helped put San Diego IPA’s on the map.
Our Big Eye IPA is a big hoppy brew, thanks to the abundance of American Columbus and Centennial varieties we use to flavor and dry hop. While the English originally added extra hops to preserve their beers for sea travel, we do it for the love of all that bold, intense flavor that makes India Pale Ale one of our favorite styles.’
– Malts: 2-Row Pale, Crystal and CaraPils*.
[ ABV: 7.0% IBU: 71 OG: Unknown* ]
– Available: Year Round, Tap, 12oz/355ml Bottle & Can, 6 Pack.
– Taste: Resinous Pine Needle, Distilled Hop Oil, Orange, Pine Sap, Peach with hints of Grapefruit. Clean Malt Base, with Caramel, Orange and Zesty Citrus notes followed by a Wooden Citrus like quality.
– Aroma: Pine Needle, Orange, Grapefruit, Fresh Cut Wood and Tropical Fruits.
– Look: Hazy Amber Orange.
– Overall: Powerful, Resinous, Dank and Bitter. The Centennial and Columbus Hops display strong Pine Needle, Citrus Zest, Orange, Mango and subtle Grapefruit flavours, well Balanced, Robust, and Fruity with a Lingering, Dry-Hop Bitterness.
– Overall: [ 91.5/100 ] – Style: [ 92.5/100 ]
– Ballast Point Brewing Company –
The perfect balance of taste and aroma. An obsession with ingredients. An exploration of techniques. And while we savor the result, we’re just as fascinated by the process to get there. What started as a small group of home brewers, who simply wanted to make a better beer, evolved into the adventurers known today as Ballast Point.
We live to add our own touch and ask if there’s a better way. As we tinkered, tested and tasted, we discovered that making beer was more art than science. And while we respect and honor tradition, we relish the opportunity to take it further. That freedom has allowed us to reinterpret brewing. And along the way help to reinvigorate the industry. From bringing a hoppy twist to a porter, or developing a proprietary yeast for our amber ale, to creating a breakthrough gold medal-winning IPA.
– Visit Ballast Point Brewing: http://www.ballastpoint.com/
– Home Brewesphere: Ballast Point Big Eye IPA Clone –
– 10.49 Gallons/40 Litres –
[ ABV: 6.7% IBU: 76 SRM: 11 OG: 1.068 FG: 1.017 Boil Time: 90 Minutes ]
Note on Dry Hop: Add to primary after 4 days of fermentation.
Primary total = 10 days Secondary = 4 days (with last day Cold Crash)
– Fermentables –
2-Row Brewers Malt
2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Caramel Malt 120L
– Hops –
|2.0 oz||Hallertau Magnum||60 min|
|2.0 oz||Centennial||60 min|
|2.0 oz||Centennial||1 min|
|2.0 oz||Amarillo||7 days|
– Yeasts –
|Burton Ale Yeast||White Labs WLP023|
– Extras –
|2.0 tsp||Irish Moss||10.0 min|
|2.0 tbs||Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)||10.0 min|
– Find Dreaded Hill’s Clone Here: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/dreaded-big-eye-ipa