Ballast Point Brewing Co. (United States/CA) – Pineapple Sculpin IPA [7.0%]
A tropical take on a tried-and-true favorite.
‘Our Pineapple Sculpin IPA came from one of many small-batch cask experiments to enhance the flavor of our signature IPA. With so many tropical hop notes in Sculpin, how could we not try adding some sweet, juicy pineapple? The combination of fruity flavors and hop intensity definitely packs a punch.’
– Malts: Pale Malts, CaraPils, Crystal 30, 2-Row.
[ ABV: 7.0% IBU: 70 OG: Unknown* ]
– Available: Year Round, Tap/Draft, 12oz/355ml Bottles, 12oz/355ml Cans, 6 Pack.
– Look: [ Deep autumn-orange, with a hazy, amber hue. ]
– Head: [ 2-4 centimeters of bubbly, tan head. ]
– Aroma: [ Pineapple husk, apricot, bread, peach, grapefruit and ripe mango. ]
– Taste: [ Orange peel, pineapple, tropical fruits, sourdough, honey and tangerine. ]
– Mouth-Feel: [ Juicy, fruity, chewy and viscous. Well textured with hints of bread, honey, orange and of course, pineapple. ]
– Mid Palate: [ Tropical fruits, almonds, papaya, mango, tangerine and orange peel. Hints of bread, melon, pineapple and peach. ]
– Finish: [ Pineapple, grapefruit, biscuit, and white peach. Slightly viscous with hints of tangerine, orange, spice, grass and sourdough lingering on the palate. ]
– Overall: [ A solid West-Coast IPA. The pineapple simply compliments the Sculpin, bringing with it hints of tropical fruits, peaches, melons and you guessed it, pineapple. A complex malt bill gives the Pineapple Sculpin a creamy texture, with biscuit, bread and hints of caramel shining through. While this is somewhat over-hyped in Australia, the Pineapple Sculpin also deserves a pat on the back. A great example of a fruit infused IPA, however, there certainly is better alternatives coming out of local and independent breweries. ]
– Overall: [ 90.25/100 ] – Style: [ 91.5/100 ]
– Taste: [ 89.5/100 ] Aroma: [ 92.75/100 ]
– Would We Buy It Again?: [ Not for personal consumption. We choose to support independent and family-owned breweries. All in all, it’s still a sick brew and as with all beers we recommend giving it a try at least once! ]
– Affordable?: [ No, well not unless you choose to shop at Dan’s. 355ml 6-Pack: $38-45.00 AUD. ]
– Feedback/Tips: [ I have always been curious of a Rum Barrel-Aged Pineapple Sculpin. ]
– Day Or Night?: [ Sunny afternoons. ]
– Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin: 1 Word Review: [ Husky. ]
– Our Favourite Part Of Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin: [ The complex Aroma, Texture, and Tropical Finish. ]
– Ballast Point Brewing Co. – 5401 Linda Vista Rd #406, San Diego, CA 92110, United States –
‘The perfect balance of taste and aroma. An obsession with ingredients. An exploration of techniques. And while we savor the result, we’re just as fascinated by the process to get there. What started as a small group of home brewers, who simply wanted to make a better beer, evolved into the adventurers known today as Ballast Point.
We live to add our own touch and ask if there’s a better way. As we tinkered, tested and tasted, we discovered that making beer was more art than science. And while we respect and honor tradition, we relish the opportunity to take it further. That freedom has allowed us to reinterpret brewing. And along the way help to reinvigorate the industry. From bringing a hoppy twist to a porter, or developing a proprietary yeast for our amber ale, to creating a breakthrough gold medal-winning IPA.’
– Visit Ballast Point: http://www.ballastpoint.com/