Holgate Brewhouse (VIC/Australia) – Millennium Falcon Emperial IPA [10.0%]
‘We couldn’t resist cooking up something special to mark our 1000th brew since launching in 1999.
The Millennium Falcon Emperial IPA is brewed with all pale malt to allow the hops to drive this ship. We loaded kettle and fermenter with an unprecedented quantity of Millenium, Falconers Flight, Mosaic, El Dorado, Citra & Crosby #7 hops, pushing the bitterness to a big chewy 100 IBUs.
Engage hopper-drive and may the hops be with you!’
– Malts: 2-Row Pale Malts.
[ ABV: 10.0% IBU: 100+ OG: 1.085 EBC: 5 ]
– Available: Special Release, Tap/Draft, 16.9oz/500ml Bottles.
– Look: [ Deep Golden-Orange, with a Cloudy Amber Hue. ]
– Head: [ A centimeter of Creamy Tan Head, with Resinous Lacing. ]
– Aroma: [ Ripe Melons, Tropical Fruits, Papaya, Apricot, Grapefruit, Peach, Mango, Pineapple, and Pine Needles. ]
– Taste: [ Pine Needles, Grapefruit, Biscuits, White-Peach, Melons, and Passionfruit. ]
– Mouth-Feel: [ Viscous and Chewy, Resinous Pine Needles, Grapefruit. A combination of Tropical Fruits, Citrus Peel and Pale Malt create a Full-Bodied and Oily Texture. ]
– Mid Palate: [ More Peach, Apricot, and Melons. Oily Pine, Grapefruit, and Tangerine, with lesser hints of Pineapple, Guava and Biscuit. ]
– Finish: [ Resinous, Sticky, and Dank. Floral Citrus, Peaches, Tropical Fruits, Mango and subtle hints of Caramel. ]
– Overall: [ Well, where do we begin? An exceptional IIPA, perhaps the best Australia has on offer. Millennium Falcon is huge, so well balanced and hiding the 10% ABV perfectly. The Aroma is Perfume like, with Floral Citrus, Peach, Mango, and Pineapple coming through. The Palate is Viscous, Oily, and Dank, with Grapefruit, Tangerine, Papaya, and Apricot. An incredible IIPA that really deserves more recognition, perhaps it’s fair to call Millennium Falcon the ‘Pliny the Elder’ of Australia. If you like the Pirate Life IIPA, Feral Tusk, or any other Aussie IIPA’s, well, you quite simply have to give this a try. ]
– Overall: [ 97.25/100 ] – Style: [ 97.5/100 ]
– Taste: [ 97.5/100 ] Aroma: [ 97.75/100 ]
– Would We Buy It Again?: [ Yes. ]
– Affordable?: [ Expensive, but well worth it. 500ml Bottle: $22-25 Dollars AUD. ]
– Feedback/Tips: [ It’s really hard to mess around with the pricing here, but I find a lot of people won’t try the Millennium Falcon because of the price. On a side note, the 2016 Release only just lacked the Aroma and Balance of the 2015 Release. ]
– Day Or Night?: [ At a sneaky 10% ABV, we recommend at least waiting until the sun is down. ]
– Holgate Millennium Falcon: 1 Word Review: [ Interstellar. ]
– Our Favourite Part Of Holgate Millennium Falcon: [ Potentially the Aroma, but at the end of the day this beer is all-round awesome. The Aroma, Texture, and the Finish all come together perfectly. So to be fair, we sort of love the Millennium Falcon. ]
– Holgate Brewhouse – 79 High St, Woodend, 3442, Victoria, Australia –
‘We make our beers entirely ourselves, bold and brimming with character – carefully constructed with authentic, natural ingredients. We reckon there’s more than enough industrially-brewed beerish-flavoured bunk in the world. If that makes us beer snobs, it’s a badge we wear with pride. No preservatives. No chemicals. No pasteurisation. Just years of brewing lore and an uncompromising approach.
Yep, since start-up in 1999 in Paul and Natasha Holgate’s back-yard, Holgate Brewhouse brewing company has been producing genuine craft beer from the village of Woodend in Victoria. Brewed, bottled and kegged right here, our beers come straight to you from our family-owned brewery, which we’re stoked to have installed in the awesome 19th century red-brick Hotel in Woodend.
Come see the microbrewery in action at the Hotel. You’ll find us out back dreaming up another mighty brew, wrangling with the bottling machine or otherwise cranking out some more Holgate tasty beers. Blow the froth off a couple while you’re here and enjoy some fine cuisine in the Hotel restaurant. Stay a night or two in one of our beautifully refurbished guestrooms. Best of all, visit our bar and taproom and discover just how fresh and full-flavoured authentic craft beer can be – Straight from the Gate!’
– Visit Holgate Brewhouse: http://holgatebrewhouse.com/